This position involves the collection and compilation of environmental data from sites under different stages or phases of environmental work processes. Under the supervision of a Project Manager or site Foreman, this person will be responsible for completing well-defined tasks including but not limited to the collection of soil, groundwater and air/vapor samples, logging soil lithology, field screening soil samples with a photo ionization detector. The geologist will provide oversight to drilling subcontractors during sample collection, well installations and well abandonment. Familiarity with various drilling methods a plus. Geologist will be responsible for preparation of drill logs. The geologist must be organized and able to follow orders/ instructions. Almost all tasks require logging of field notes as well as data collection sheets.
- Full time field position; ability to work in all weather
- Conducting environmental site assessments/investigations
- Document monitoring well and extraction well installations
- Performing groundwater sampling activities, and operation of field equipment/instruments
- Generating written notes relaying observations and findings
- Travel within to various sites is required-Long Island, NYC and limited Westchester county area
- Must be able to complete physically challenging field activities, such as lifting equipment and supplies
- Management and submittal of field paperwork
The position requires strong attention to detail in order to ensure compliance with relevant state/federal regulations and client specific requirements. The candidate must demonstrate good communication skills and technical skills. The candidate should have the desire to take on new tasks, be open to various skill development opportunities and be a team player. The candidate must be able to work in a fast paced environment and be able to multi task. The ideal candidate will have previous experience working on environmental projects and a strong technical background in regulatory affairs, environmental science or natural sciences, but will train the right person with limited to no experience.
- Education: Prefer candidate with two or four-year degree BS. Geology or Environmental Science preferred from an accredited institution.
- Experience: Preference for 3-5 years of experience in related environmental work activities, but will train the right candidate.
- Knowledge & Skills: Must be a team player, good communication skills, and attention to details, strong note taking and documentation. Experience and familiarity with groundwater sampling, soil and/or air/vapor sampling and monitoring well installations a plus. Knowledge of computers and standard software packages, Microsoft Office Suite (word processing, spreadsheets, databases).
- Special: Position normally will require Health & Safety certification pursuant to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120 (OSHA Hazwoper 40-hr course); CPR/first aid; but will train the right candidate if not certified.
- Valid driver’s license required.
The position is for full-time employment with benefits. A full-time position offers life, medical and dental insurance after 3 months, an IRA plan after 1 year with employer contributions and paid holiday, sick and vacation days.
Environmental Assessment & Remediations is an equal opportunity employer. Office is located in Patchogue, NY
To apply, please send a resume (pdf format) to David Vigliotta Vig@enviro-asmnt.com or call 631-447-6400 ext. 120.